Sunday, January 07, 2007

Langib Exhibit at Beato and a sad and painful encounter with the Varsitarian

Certain Thomasian Writers Guild members old and new and profoundly talented Visual Artists from CFAD UST had a fruitful interaction called LANGIB launched 6pm last January 5, 2007. The College of Fine Arts and Design is such a fertile place with so many creative people on their way, so I am sad to think that they only have 9 units of Literature and English combined. How is that possible? Do they not want their students to explore all creative knowledge?

I interacted with Mark Mangistrado on a minimalist collaboration called Salmon and Lobster Mayonnaise. I will show you a page in this blog. Do come visit.

I had the sad pleasure to meet the kind and innocent faces of a Varsitarian Literary Editor and a Circle writer who came to write about LANGIB. They didn't know what hit them. They didn't know that I had informed their News Editor of my ALIWW recognition last week of October in 2006 and NO ONE came to cover the ALIWW garden ceremony last November 28. Both of them never came across the Philippine Star article written by Rica Bolipata on November 23 and the after article of Krip Yuson also in the Philippine Star on December 4.

Before that, news of my MTV End to the Full Moon, was posponed for three months and when the article came out, it wasn't only badly written, it contained so many erroneous facts. To top it off, the news editor decided to write the errata, two months after the artilce and even that errata was erroneous in nature.

Now This.

What does it take to be aknowledged in your own University Paper? It is January. It is troubling to think that even if certain news is given to the Varsitarian, they do not consider certain news ground breaking or important.

I have always been proud of being a Thomasian. I have been in UST as a student from 1989 to 1995 and as a teacher from 1999 till now. The editors of the Varsitarian were my former students. Oh well.

If anyone reads this entry and has friends in the Varsi, tell them about this. If they do listen and do something about this oversight, thank them for me. But I will keep well away.

Last year, I sat in the waiting area of the Varsitarian and cried because my heart was broken. Did I look like a frail older woman to be laughed at I wonder, when the kind News Editor walked me out, was he sincere?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Varsitarian Literary Editor happens to be my classmate, ma'am. She seemed genuinely distressed when she mentioned that you mentioned the issue to her that night.

Anonymous said...

it's sad to know that the varsitarian wouldn't consider such news when they ought to be covering everything that concerns the university. not just the university wide fun events or the accidents that occur on the roads which involve ust students.

i am a thomasian alumni myself and i hope that the editors would wake up on this issue. they shouldn't be working in the field of journalism if they couldn't do such responsibility.

nice blog, anyway, ma'am! i've searched your site thru google, been looking for info on nerisa guevarra.

Anonymous said...

wow! kit kwe was a batch earlier than me!